Python training at Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Chennai

Last Friday (13th August) I conducted a Python training at Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Chennai (REC). I got the invitation few weeks back from Jayakumari, a faculty member of computer applications department. Initially we planned for 2 day workshop with hands on sessions. But later it changed to 1 day training program.

I started my journey from Bangalore on Thursday afternoon in a KSRTC bus. I reached in Poonamallee, Chennai around 9 pm. Two students - Gurubaran & his friend Rajaram was waiting for me. They got me into a bus going to Thandalam where the college is located. The campus looked very nice and it was very calm and quiet. They had arranged my stay in their hostel guest room. It was a very nice stay and the Tamil style dinner was very good. This was the second time I going to Chennai. Previously I came for US Visa interview at US consulate.

The training session started around 9.30 am. There was around 60 participants including some faculty members. The computer applications department head of department (HOD) Prof. T. Srinivasan also attended entire session. He told me afterwards that he will be coming to PyCON India which is going to happen in Bangalore next month. I also invited all the participants to PyCON India. I hope some of them will come to Bangalore for PyCON India. The program ended afternoon at 3 pm. The students asked many questions mainly comparing with C++. "How to do polymorphism ?", "Is there any virtual function?", "Does Python support multiple-inheritance?", "Is there any access specifiers like private,protected etc. ?" When they saw the simplicity of Python they were really surprised. I mentioned where and all Python is being used, different implementation of Python, how to continue studying Python. I tried to make comparison with C++ or Java whenever possible. I got many good feedback during and after the program.

After the training around 3.45 pm I went to Koyembedu to catch my bus. The bus was at 8.15 pm, so I had enough time. Another student, Arun accompanied me to help to get into bus. I told them that I can manage, but their hospitality nature didn't allowed to go alone. I did small shopping for my wife, son & his cousin at Skywalk mall near Koyembedu. It was a mistake that I started at 8.15, I reached in Bangalore very early morning around 3 am. I should have started around 11 pm so that I can reach comfortably in morning 6 or 7.

I was waiting for photos to write this blog, today I got it. I am adding few photos here:













Popular posts from this blog

Some thoughts on Python 3 adoption

PyCon India 2014 received 143 proposals

PyCon India 2014 - Call for Proposal